Cap Levi Lighthouse
Cap Lévi lighthouse can be found at cap Lévi, within the commune of Fermanville, in the Manche. It serves to support the Hague light and the Gatteville light.
Customers who bought this product also bought:
Customer ratings and reviews
| Nobody has posted a review yet|
in this language
|Rate / write a comment|
Collection: Lighthouses of Lower Normandy
Cap Lévi Lighthouse
Made of: Resin
Size: H 12,5 x 7 x 7 cm
- Locality : Fermanville, Manche
- Construction : 1854 - 1947
- Height : 28 m
- Elevation : 36 m
- Reach : 20 nautical miles
Primitively known as Kapelwic « Chapel cove » in the middle ages, original name given to a hamlet in the nearby cove (vik in norse). At first the name given was Caplevy by metathesis of L & amuïssement of C.
An initial lighthouse is illustrated on plans by J. de Serry between 1854 and 1858. The square tower built in granite rises to 31 m.
Destroyed in 1944, a new tower was built in 1947 designed by Levasseur and Chauliat who oversaw the construction. The new tower is smaller (28 meters as opposed to 31), but was built 2 meters higher above the sea level.