Gatteville lighthouse or Gatteville-Barfleur light can be found on the Barfleur peninsular (commune de Gatteville-le-Phare), on the channel coast. It warns against the strong currents at Raz de Barfleur.
Customers who bought this product also bought:
Customer ratings and reviews
Nobody has posted a review yet
in this language
|Rate / write a comment|
Collection: phares de Basse Normandie
Made of: Resin
Size: 13.5 x 8.5 x 7.0 cm
- Location : Gatteville-le-Phare, Channel coast
- Construction : 1829 - 1835
- Height : 74.75 m
- Elevation : 78.85 m
- Reach : 29 nm
Gatteville lighthouse or Gatteville-Barfleur light, can be found on the Barfleur peninsular (commune de Gatteville-le-Phare), on the Channel coast. It warns of the strong currents at Raz de Barfleur.
The strong ocean currents at Barfleur peninsular and a history of numerous ship wrecks (the most famous being the Blanche-Nef) make this lighthouse absolutely indespensable.
In 1774, during the reign of Louis XIV, the Rouen chamber of commerce decided to build an initial tower in granite 25m high. A wood and charcoal fire burned atop the tower continually. The charcoal was stocked by the men and left no rest for the keepers. In 1780 the charcoal fire was replaced by a lighting system consisting of 16 glazed oil lamps.
It was decided in 1825 to build a new tower, the ealier light being too small to have modern day lenses, and too weak to be extended to 32 meters. Architect Charles-Félix Morice de la Rue during Charles X's reign who went on to design la Hague light, the highest lighthouse of that epoque (since surpassed by l’Île Vierge lighthouse). Construction begain in 1829 and continued until1835.