Honfleur lighthouse, also called the Cliffs of the deep lighthouse or Butin lighthouse, is situated within the Honfleur distict in the departement of Calvados, on the south bank of the esturary to the river Seine.
Customers who bought this product also bought:
Customer ratings and reviews
| Nobody has posted a review yet|
in this language
|Rate / write a comment|
Collection: phares de Basse Normandie
Made of: Resin
Size: 10 x 5 x 5 cm
- Location : Honfleur, Calvados
- Construction : 1908
- Height : 14.5 m
- Elevation : 17.5 m
- Reach : ?
IN 1853, an initial lighthouse called « Hôpital light » was built to compliment Fatouville lighthouse. It replaced an old wooden tower (called « fire tower ») allowing a lamp system installed by the Gaulle hydrographer de Gaulle, a marine engineer (1732-1810). It was lit in 1857 and was in service until 1908 when the light was extinguished and dismantled . It is now the property of the town of Honfleur.
In 1908 when Fatouville was decommisioned, a second tower was built to indicated the western approach to the port of Honfleur. It was equipped with a light with 2 eclipses every 8 seconds (3 white sections, 2 red sections and one green). In 1933, it was electrified and upgraded to 2 eclipses /12 seconds (colour sections : 3 white, 2 red, 1 green).
It extinguished during the war and relit in 1951.
The Honfleur lighthouse was modified after the war at the time the road was built.
It's a square stone faced white tower with granite quoin stones from Cherbourg. It was enhanced with a green light and given the system used for the previous Hôpital lighthouse. It has a 3 eclipse /12 seconds (with coloured sections in white, red and green).