Our webstore uses cookies to offer a better user experience and we consider that you are accepting their use if you keep browsing the website.



No products

0,00 € Shipping
0,00 € Tax
0,00 € Total

Prices include tax.

Cart Checkout

Grave Lighthouse

Grave Lighthouse


Grave Lighthouse, on the Grave peninsular, on the south side of the Gironde estuary mouth in the Verdon-sur-Mer district.

More details

+ -

19,25 €

Customer ratings and reviews

Nobody has posted a review yet
in this language
Rate / write a comment

More info

Collection: Lighthouses of Aquitaine

Grave Lighthouse


Télécharger les Phares de France dans Google Earth

Made of: Resin
Size: 10.5 x 9.5 x 7.0 cm

  • Location : Le Verdon-sur-Mer, Gironde
  • Construction : 1823, 1842 and 1860
  • Height : 27 m
  • Elevation : 34.6 m
  • Range : 17 Nautical miles


Grave Lighthouse, on the Grave peninsular, is located on the south side of the Gironde estuary mouth within the Verdon-sur-Mer district.

In 1823, a provisional light beacon with reflectors was built on a scaffold pending the construction of a  stone tower in 1825. In 1827, a white sparkling lenticular system was in service at 18 m high. In 1829, because of extreme erosion, the light was again moved to a provisional post (provisional light beacon).

In 1830, a temporary frame structure was built to house a fixed lenticular system. In 1837, it was decommissioned and replaced with a white light beacon mounted at the Grave fort site. In 1838, the new light was installed on a stone tower which  the sea destroyed in 1839.

In 1842, a fixed white light was installed on a new stone tower which was also insufficient to withstand the strength of the seas. The scaffold tower solution was thus redeployed and would be moved around several times. 

In 1860, a 3rd lighthouse was reconstructed, receiving a fixed white light flashing every 5 seconds. It was built within nine months, what an achievement! It continues today marking out the Grave Point (Peninsular).

It is a square tower with smooth stone finish painted white, with chain effect exposed block stone corners. It is painted black at the top. It is attached to a U shape building in stone with exposed chain block cornering. 

The light is reached via stairwell with 107 steps leading up to a platform.

It went electric in 1937 and was automated in 1955.

It is possible to visit the lighthouse, mainly during the summer months.

Source: wikipedia

Reviews (0)